Reginal Headquarters Meeting Minutes

November 7, 2016

In Attendance: Leandre Vigneault, Cindy Verbeek, Brian Smith, Adam Silverstein, Cheryl Webb

Opening/General remarks

Volunteers are passionately appreciative of the SEP programs they receive. Several have said that without support their programs would cease to exist. As well, support and partnership with DFO add legitimacy to the group when getting established and when applying for funding.

SEHAB Concerns                                               Response from RHQ                       Action Item

Aging CEDP Hatcheries and projects need to be revitalized.

CEDP projects (as well as Federal Hatcheries) in need of upgrading have been identified with safety being the key priority.


Process to get money for infrastructure is different than SEP funding. They have to explain why they are paying for infrastructure with a contractor. Not a show stopper – just a reality


CEDP facilities will be reviewed to determine if they are still meeting objectives.


Development and destruction of habitat quantity and quality is happening without proper enforcement of the fisheries act and no follow up afterward to make sure activities are not harming fish and fish habitat.

The fisheries act always applies no matter what the use or user.


SEHAB and its members are encouraged to be a part of the Fisheries Act Consultations.


Every complaint that comes into ORR is being dealt with even if you personally don’t get a call back or response.

Cheryl is working to strengthen ties between C&P and SEP.


Cheryl will take these concerns to C&P and work to put habitat on the workplan for enforcement officers.


SEHAB will encourage it’s constituents to be involved in the Fisheries Act consultations.

SEP program and its staff and volunteers are undervalued and not prioritized



Recognition is not just about celebrating volunteers - also needs to include financial and human resources to do their job and habitat protection so that the good work that is done is not undone with habitat destruction.

This may be perception but it is not reality. SEP is highly valued and prioritized. If anyone has any questions or concerns contact Adam.


Except the one vacant position all CA’s are now full and no longer acting.


Production planning is more structured making sure that volunteer projects are supported.



Ensure that CA’s are replaced as they retire.




Recognition of volunteers is being planned in conjunction with SEP’s 40th anniversary through celebrations.


New BC school curriculum includes more emphasis on outdoor activities and environmental education that is starting to stretch volunteers and SEP educators

Stream to Sea curriculum has been updated to include new BC curriculum

Stream to Sea program will continue to be supported by SEP.

Core funding is a challenge for small organization because it is either lacking or hard to access

The new way of doing PIP’s will allow 90% of the funding to be given up front.


Government response to climate change is lacking

Holistic watershed management is something this government is very interested in.

This government is having conversations on a watershed by watershed basis

Stocks declining



SEHAB was not invited to comment on the Wild Salmon Policy


Adam will ensure we are plugged into the WSP consultation process.


Adam will ensure that we get a presentation at SEHAB’s Feb meeting.

PAR concerns

Nobody will take ownership of who holds the license for raising Steelhead


Adam will connect the PAR committee with the person who can help with a solution for steelhead licensing issues.


Cheryl is working to strengthen ties between Provincial and Federal governments on salmonid related issues.